We are accepting applications on a rolling basis!
What does WAVE stand for? We Are Voices of Excellence—and I hope you’ll add your voice to our call for change through community-based advocacy. If you are interested please apply as soon as possible and we will contact you!
By empowering advocates through the 50CAN advocacy framework, our WAVE grassroots engagement work will move Hawaii closer to our vision for the future of education—and create a more responsive and equitable education system.
Here’s what Erin, a recent high school graduate and WAVE Youth member has to say about the program!
What you’ll learn
What will you learn through WAVE? Here are some of the lessons we teach—the tools you’ll need to run campaigns that result in real and lasting change:
- The fundamentals of advocacy and policy
- Leadership and public speaking skills
- How to run a social justice campaign
- How to build authentic relationships with peers
- The ins-and-outs of civic participation
-You must be 13 years or older – be of high school age
-You must attend 6 sessions a school year.
-After that you can pick & choose what to attend over the summer. Session dates/times can be found on the program calendar.
We have training sessions, learning experiences and special events lined up from September 2019 through April 2020!
The program includes attending advocacy actions, presenting at conferences and special events. Some of them may include:
- Participating in the Hawaii Children and Youth Summit
- Presenting at the Schools of the Future Conference
- Facilitating Sessions at the Student Energy Summit
- Hosting Legislative Walk-Arounds at the Hawaii State Capitol
WAVE is a program that equips community members (adults and youth) across the islands with the skills to lead impactful and localized advocacy campaigns. We will work through a core series of trainings to teach you the skills of advocacy and community organizing and we will also hold community-based events to put those skills into action! The key part of this program is YOU, making waves! Check out our blog post about what WAVE Youth program leaders are looking forward to this school year!
Learning experiences and events
During the course of the year we will sponsor events where you can participate in advocacy actions. Meet other passionate youth and community members who are making waves. We will partner youth with mentors who can provide support for developing their advocacy skills and their own campaigns.
- Meet with policy makers
- Testify at hearings
- Campaign for a candidate or an issue
- Post on social media in support of a campaign
- Host or attend a community-based discussion
- Write letters to editor, blogs and op-ed pieces
- Attend neighborhood board meetings
- Attend Board of Education meetings
How you can make a difference
We can’t run WAVE without mentors, community partners, and referrals to youth programs. If you are interested in participating in trainings, events, providing mentorship, and / or becoming a point-of-contact for your school or community-based organization, please contact Aisha Heredia, firstname.lastname@example.org.